Sunday, November 18, 2012


December Daily Album Cover

The next part was finding a book that would work. I love reusing old book covers and have no qualms about using my rotary cutter to cut a book up, so that's exactly what I did. I found an old Social Security Time Book from the 1940s and sliced the spine of the book close to the middle, leaving a little overlap on both sides. I then glued the overlap to the inside of the book so that the edge looked finished.
Next I put some old Heidi Swapp mask letters along with some old vinyl number stickers on the front cover. I used a teal blue glaze and painted over both the front and back covers, going in a diagonal direction. The glaze was perfect to add a bit of color but also let the vintage book cover lettering show through. I let that dry, did another coat, and then once that was dry put some clear glitter paint over that. I let it dry a little and then took the masks off. They didn’t quite work as well as I hoped, but I got some nail polish remover and some Q-tips and was able to clear up where the paint bled into the negative space. I put two final coats of glossy Mod-Podge over the top, attached a cut vintage doily to the front and back with two layers of Mod-Podge, make some holes with my Crop-a-Dile, put some binder rings to attached the covers, and the cover was done. I am so pleased with the glitter and shine but also the simplicity of the design.
Next to come is some information on prep work I have done for the inside pages...

0 Reactions to this post

Add Comment